Month: April 2018
The Z21 Innovation Fund is a collaboration between the Web Science Institute (WSI) at the University of Southampton and the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP). The mission of the Fund is to accelerate University of Southampton Web startups towards investment and rapid growth and create high-tech jobs in the Solent region.
The Z21 Innovation Fund is seeking applications from potential ventures to create a Minimum Viable Product (MVP), achieve product market fit, and gain traction with users. Applicants can apply for funding up to £6,300 for a 3-month MVP Project. At the end of this period, MVP Projects will present to the Z21 Grant and Investment Panel and will have the opportunity to apply for Pre-Seed funding up to £31,500. The award of an MVP grant does not guarantee progression to the Pre-Seed stage: progression is determined by the Grant and Investment Panel, based on the success of the MVP stage.
All successful projects will receive support from Future Worlds, a University of Southampton on-campus startup incubator which has a valuable external network of mentors, investors and experts. Future Worlds will offer acceleration, helping projects with value proposition, market product fit, and making introductions to mentors. This support will continue through the Pre-Seed stage with help to script, film and edit a professional pitch video. At the end of the 6-month Pre-Seed Funding stage, projects will be invited to a Demo Day to pitch to investors.
To apply for MVP funding, please download and read the Technical Guidance for Applicants and complete theApplication Form and return to Susan Davies at firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 18 May 2018. There will be a further Call in July 2018 for projects to start in October 2018.
We are only able to accept applications from students or staff studying or working at the University of Southampton.
Successful applicants will be invited to attend an interview with the Z21 Grant and Investment Panel onWednesday 13 June 2018. Funded MVP Projects will run from 1 July – 30 September 2018.
If you have any questions about the application, the stages of the Z21 Innovation Fund, the eligibility criteria, and the operating processes, please contact Ben Clark at email@example.com
For more information about Z21, please visit the WSI website
On 7 March 2018, SBC’s consultant, Renold Tang, delivered successfully the last clinic of a series of 5 clinics in this academic year, aiming at providing more detailed advises tailored to meet the specific need of clients.
The clinics have provided the audience with a wide range of knowledge needed to start a business. They were awarded high marks from the clients on many aspects with many positive comments and suggestions.
- A lot of knowledge about a range of business opportunities.
- Individual approach and expertise
- Honesty and bluntness/ Straightforward advice/ Professional advises
- Business management and strategy archives have been the key topics of my talk; I have many interesting inputs.
- Critique given was very helpful. Link to company shared. Advice on next steps appreciated.
- I have waited for a quite long time to have an appointment. Hence, running more sections might be helpful
- I think a potential incubator scheme might help.
- I think the clinic is quite efficient and complete, may be just allowing a bit more time for the talk would be a plus.
- There should be some more in-depth advice (going into more details)